POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brute force rendering : Re: Brute force rendering Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force rendering
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Feb 2008 22:39:15
Message: <47c4db63@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen wrote:
> Glass has about 4% reflection coefficient when angle of incidence is 0.
> I guess this 4% holds true both when entering glass and exiting it?

It's more complicated than that in reality. Light doesn't reflect from
the surface of the glass. It reflects inside the glass. It only seems
like it reflects from the surface because different paths that reflect
at different depths in the glass cancel out. A piece of glass the proper
thickness has no "surface reflection" at all, and a half wavelength
thicker and it has 16% reflection. So, technically speaking, there's no
"reflection off the back" at all - it's just that the math works out to
make it look like there is. (And I have no idea where I left the book I
have that explains the math well enough to indicate whether the math
works out to make it look like a 4% reflection off the back, too. ;-)

(Similarly, a mirror reflects all over its surface, but only the paths
where incidence = reflection don't tend to cancel out. Diffraction
gratings and holograms take advantage of this, for example.)

I mean, if you're talking about "physically-accurate" tracing. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"