POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brute force rendering : Re: Brute force rendering Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force rendering
From: Alain
Date: 26 Feb 2008 13:17:32
Message: <47c457bc$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/02/25 11:32:
> you're using photon mapping for the caustics, right?  Ever since these
> guys have been posting these bruteforce renders, I've been noticing an
> interesting pattern about photon mapping:  the caustics don't match the
> shape of the source of light, you look at your render and to that of
> Severi and you notice your caustics are focused in one point while his
> are large and in the shape of the light sphere.  And that is to be
> expected, since photon mapping reacts to the (point)light source, not to
> a physical object emitting light, like in the bruteforce methods.
>
> But radiosity works ok for that purpose.  Like here, just first
> radiosity pass as I don't have the time right now for a complete
> render... there are a few radiosity artifacts left, you could raise the
> count a bit...

With photons, you can have broad caustics. You need to add "area_light" in the
photons block of the area_light.
Here's an area_light that will emit photons from a "spherical" area:

light_source{Location, rgb 1 area_light 3*x,3*y 17,17 autostop 0 circular orient
photons{area_light}// the key of having soft caustics
}

--
Alain
EVERYTHING HAS A GENDER

You may not know this but many nonliving things have a gender...

A Subway is Male, because it uses the same old lines to pick people up.