POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brute force rendering : Re: Brute force rendering Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force rendering
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 25 Feb 2008 07:53:57
Message: <47c2ba65@news.povray.org>
Tim Attwood wrote:
>> I'd like to know how easy/hard it is to achieve same results with
>> POV-Ray. This is a really simple scene with just spheres and planes and
>> reflection and refraction. And one spherical light source with warm
>> light 10*Vector(1, 0.9, 0.6).
>
> Not all that hard, it's just a matter of what settings are used. (24m)

Could you try also with radiosity? Now your test image lacks global
illumination which contributes a lot to realism. Also the shadows seem
to be way too sharp considering the size of the emitting ball.

I also noticed caustics that can be seen below the green refractive
sphere. They came from reflections from the big yellow sphere. I guess
in POV you have to tell POV where to shoot photons? So you might also
miss these kind of effects?

To my eye, my image looks more realistic but I'm a bit subjective to say
it :-)