POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brute force rendering : Re: Brute force rendering Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:21:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force rendering
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 25 Feb 2008 07:46:39
Message: <47c2b8af@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Glass (or any transparent material for that matter) that doesn't
> reflect, only refracts, doesn't exist in reality. Glass always reflects
> some light (and the amount of reflection actually depends on the
> incidence angle).

Yeah, I just read about Fresnel equations in Wikipedia. Do you know if
"normal" reflections happen (about) equally when going from less dense
medium to denser medium when compared to opposite situation?

Glass has about 4% reflection coefficient when angle of incidence is 0.
I guess this 4% holds true both when entering glass and exiting it?

>   To get realistic and physically accurate results brute-force rendering
> is not enough. You also need physically accurate BRDFs.

Very true. I omitted reflections totally from the refractive spheres.
But brute force let's you simulate many multiple-bounce lighting
situations easily. Of course it just means that: the the light bounce as
much as it wants. The rest is up to the programmer. And my renderer
still misses many important features that make the image look realistic.