POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Experiment in weathering #1 [~312kB] : Re: Experiment in weathering #1 [~312kB] Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Experiment in weathering #1 [~312kB]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 25 Feb 2008 03:05:58
Message: <47c276e6$1@news.povray.org>
"Alain" <ele### [at] netscapenet> schreef in bericht

> As real columns are made from discreete pieces, and that those are not
> from adjacent parts of the same rock, maybe not even from the same quary,
> the weatering is often not concistent.
> A strong spot in one piece may be next to a weak spot in it's neibour. So,
> I see no problem in having disparate weathering patterns from one stone to
> the next.

That is only partly true, imo. Generally builders will take painstaking care
to get stones from the same quarry and - if possible - even from the same
spot, in order to keep unity in the building, except when it is intended to
be covered by a mantle or a curtain wall.

While it is true that the structure of the rock is not uniform, weathering
generally radiates from weak points like seams and works its way on both
sides. In the end, you are left with an (assymetrical) zone of eroded
stones, which nonetheless show that they belong together in the first place.
My example, of course, is a really extreme case of weathering, but still I
think that weathering should be shown to radiate from discrete points of
weakness.

Thomas