POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brute force rendering : Brute force rendering Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Brute force rendering
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 24 Feb 2008 17:58:02
Message: <47c1f67a@news.povray.org>
Just say when you get tired of my images :) But here is a new one. And
the results just keep on impressing me more and more!

Now you finally see refractions. I had some nasty artifacts before I
realized I really have to use epsilon value. (Because of floating point
errors, you rarely get 0.0 as a result, but values like 0.000000002332
which still should be considered 0.0. Epsilon is the highest value still
considered to be zero. So we don't compare to zero, but to epsilon)
After fixing that I finally got these beautiful refractions.

And guess what. I also got real caustics, for free :) No need to
implement them separately. See the left-most sphere: the green
reflecting one. You can see normal caustics at its base coming from the
clear sphere floating near it. But you can also see some green hue
around the white caustics. The green hue is most likely the white
caustics reflected from the green sphere hitting the ground. As before:
there is no recursion limit in the image. Rays keep on bouncing with 10%
probability to "die".

This image also has the "perfect anti-aliasing".

I'd like to know how easy/hard it is to achieve same results with
POV-Ray. This is a really simple scene with just spheres and planes and
reflection and refraction. And one spherical light source with warm
light 10*Vector(1, 0.9, 0.6).

For my eyes this one looks very realistic in many ways. Not sure how
much the graininess accounts for.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'kuva8.jpg' (45 KB)