POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 : Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1
From: Jan Dvorak
Date: 24 Feb 2008 06:34:29
Message: <47c15645$1@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen napsal(a):
> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>>> Next I restructure the code to allow easy addition of different kinds of
>>> objects. Still stuck at spheres. Also refractions are in the list.
>> Ah, yours is written from scratch? If you were modifying POV-Ray, it
>> would already support everything from spheres to isosurfaces :)
>
> Nah, it is a lot more fun to do everything by yourself :) This project
> actually started because I didn't know C++ (nor Linux X programming) at
> all. Then i saw this thread and got really interested in path tracing.
>
> And I love the results so far: it is so easy to make more realistic
> looking images with a path tracer than with "conventional" ray tracer
> IMO. Even the last sphere image I posted looks so natural to me. I
> wonder how easy it would be to reproduce it with POV.
using high radiosity settings with no conventional light source will do
the same. I'm thinking of:
radiosity{
   error_bound 0        //to prevent any reuse
   count 1              //to prevent getting damn slow
   pretrace_start 1     //
   pretrace_end 1       //these won't be used either.
   minimun_reuse 0      //necessary
   normal on	       //this won't hurt the performance
   #declare s=seed(Parse_String(date("%Y%y%j%H%M%S")))
   #declare d=VRand_On_Sphere(s);
   #if(d.y<0)
     d=-d;
   #end
   samples{1,d}
   randomize on         //a (lame) attempt to randomize the sample space.
                        //adapt adc_bailout and max_recursion as you like
}
The problem is that the light ray always reaches the surface at the same
angle (different from ray to ray). This might (and will) produce
artifacts (honestly, I'm interested in these artifacts), it might even
go all wrong (the first bunce will be OK).

--
You know you've been raytracing too long when...
you start thinking up your own "You know you've been raytracing too long