POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Disk Space Issue Installing Visual Studio : Disk Space Issue Installing Visual Studio Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:17 EDT (-0400)
  Disk Space Issue Installing Visual Studio
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 24 Feb 2008 03:11:25
Message: <47c126ad$1@news.povray.org>
When installing VS C++ 2008 Express I realized that I'm
nearly out of disk space on my system partition (C:),
I don't want to leave C: with less than 500M and this
would leave it with about 50M... (it wants 705M min
on C:) despite telling the installer to install it elsewhere.
(Win XP)

This must happen during the installation of VS quite
often, since I only have system and shared files on C:,
and the partition has 8.3G. I long ago moved the User
files elsewhere with symbolic links, and the virtual memory,
for the similar reasons.

I can think of two paths to go from here...
1) Virtual PCs
2) format, partition, and re-install everything (what a hassle)

Is there a way to force VS to install the shared files to a
drive I have space on?

Any recommendations for a backup utility that can reinstall
stuff after repartitioning? I've been backing stuff up by
hand to CD, and I'm considering buying an external HD
to do backups more frequently...

How hard is it to set up Virtual PCs?

Any tips would be helpful.

P.S. Setting up VS is intended to be the first step in
contributing to coding for POV. (since the beta code
is compiled in VS C++ 2005)