POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Focal blur tricks : Re: Focal blur tricks Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Focal blur tricks
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 23 Feb 2008 10:33:35
Message: <47c03ccf$1@news.povray.org>

> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> wrote:
>> Could you post the complete source for your image on the original post?
>> With the colored spheres.
>
> No problem.  See p.t.sf.

Thanks. I rendered the source you posted on this thread, with 3000
samples, confidence 0.99999 and variance 0.00001. And colored spheres :P
Took four hours. I'll attach it to the *next* message.

> I've never gone beyond opening up the source code and deciding it's pretty
> complicated, but it took about ten minutes to patch this into POV-Ray, at least
> for circular apertures.  At ~line 650 in render.cpp, all you have to do is
> select new random points until (x*x+y*y)<1.0.  Custom bokeh could be easily
> loaded from an image and sampled randomly.  There's some details I may have
> neglected about 37 samples on a hex grid or something, but it seems like
> someone who knows what they're doing could patch a circular_aperture keyword
> into the syntax in a matter of minutes.  Much like circular for area_lights.
> I'll post an image in a little bit showing the utility of such a command.  Very
> nice effect, although slow to render.  Perhaps adaptive sampling, something like
> AA, could be used to locate the bright spots and send more samples there.
> You'll notice in these images that the bokeh are just below a comfortable noise
> threshold, but the rest of the scene is extremely oversampled.  That fix might
> not be so easy, but if it could be accomplished, would make the focal_blur much
> more powerful.

Well I don't think I would attempt it either :) Last time I looked at
the code, I saw focal blur code was scattered all over POV instead of
self-contained somewhere... But maybe that was just me.