POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruined Place - WIP 4 : Re: Ruined Place - WIP 4 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruined Place - WIP 4
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 22 Feb 2008 04:07:52
Message: <47be90e8$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> schreef in bericht
> Hi Thomas, glad to see you are back on this.  I couldn't resist playing
> around a bit because I thought the antique ruins an interesting subject
> and also I wanted to throw one more idea into your toolkit.
> I wanted to play with a method for applying texture which would vary
> with the surface.  As you know, one of the usual ways used is the slope
> pattern, another is to use methods that share the same pattern for both
> distorting a surface (either perturbing the normals or actual
> isosurface), and texturing the surface.  Another method I wanted to try
> was to use the average of a number of object patterns based on the
> object being textured.  Here I used a cylinder of diameter less than
> that of the column and averaged a number of scale changes to create some
> grunge in the column flutes.  I used your lichen pattern for the grunge
> just because it was handy.  I hope this wasn't too presumptuous on my
> part.

This is looking very good Jim! Especially the grunge which is a natural
feature you will see often in flutes. I see a weekend of experimentation
before me to get familiar with your's and Kirk's techniques. Especially the
cylindrical pattern looks interesting to me.

Thanks for thinking along with me! :-)

Thomas