POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruined Place - WIP 4 : Re: Ruined Place - WIP 4 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruined Place - WIP 4
From: Jim Charter
Date: 21 Feb 2008 21:27:07
Message: <47be32fb@news.povray.org>
Hi Thomas, glad to see you are back on this.  I couldn't resist playing
around a bit because I thought the antique ruins an interesting subject
and also I wanted to throw one more idea into your toolkit.
I wanted to play with a method for applying texture which would vary
with the surface.  As you know, one of the usual ways used is the slope
pattern, another is to use methods that share the same pattern for both
distorting a surface (either perturbing the normals or actual
isosurface), and texturing the surface.  Another method I wanted to try
was to use the average of a number of object patterns based on the
object being textured.  Here I used a cylinder of diameter less than
that of the column and averaged a number of scale changes to create some
grunge in the column flutes.  I used your lichen pattern for the grunge
just because it was handy.  I hope this wasn't too presumptuous on my part.

-Jim

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '03.jpg' (83 KB)