POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruined Place - WIP 4 : Re: Ruined Place - WIP 4 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruined Place - WIP 4
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Feb 2008 09:54:08
Message: <47bd9090$1@news.povray.org>
"Jaime Vives Piqueres" <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> schreef in bericht

>> The stone texture is now a complex layering of Jim Charter's
>> StainedStones macro, Meothuru's corrosion texture, and my own lichen
>> texture. Forget - for the time being - the need for better radiosity
>> settings and a finer aa. All in due time.
>
>   Then I think it looks promising... with better radiosity and aa it
> surely will look impressive. The texture looks right, perhaps each block
> needs it's own "gradient y" dirty layer on top. Also, have you tried a
> much lower point of view?

the blocks have this gradient (Jim's macro) but it is now somewhat obscured
by Meothuru's texture (although that one is semi transparant) I shall see
what I can do.

>> I added a height_field with a sand ripple texture. The bad thing is that
>> the sand does not react whatsoever with obstacles like the columns. That
>> is simply not good enough although the idea itself is sound. So, I shall
>> have to think about a way to simulate that...
>
>   Perhaps you can remake this heightfield with a top orthographic view of
> the current scene, using something in place of each column to simulate the
> accumulated sand around. This "something" can be perhaps another
> heighfield with an "island-like" shape, randomly rotated for each
> column... so you would get a heighfield with a peak in place of each
> column. I hope my explanation is understandable...

Perfectly clear Jaime! I have in fact been thinking exactly in that
direction and it is something I want to experiment with.

Thomas