POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruined Place - WIP 4 : Re: Ruined Place - WIP 4 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruined Place - WIP 4
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 21 Feb 2008 05:30:33
Message: <47bd52c9@news.povray.org>

> The stone texture is now a complex layering of Jim Charter's StainedStones
> macro, Meothuru's corrosion texture, and my own lichen texture. Forget - for
> the time being - the need for better radiosity settings and a finer aa. All
> in due time.

   Then I think it looks promising... with better radiosity and aa it surely
will look impressive. The texture looks right, perhaps each block needs it's
own "gradient y" dirty layer on top. Also, have you tried a much lower point
of view?

> I added a height_field with a sand ripple texture. The bad thing is that the
> sand does not react whatsoever with obstacles like the columns. That is
> simply not good enough although the idea itself is sound. So, I shall have
> to think about a way to simulate that...

   Perhaps you can remake this heightfield with a top orthographic view of
the current scene, using something in place of each column to simulate the
accumulated sand around. This "something" can be perhaps another heighfield
with an "island-like" shape, randomly rotated for each column... so you
would get a heighfield with a peak in place of each column. I hope my
explanation is understandable...

--
Jaime