POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Windows povray Executable to POV-Ray source code using MSV studio : Re: Windows povray Executable to POV-Ray source code using MSV studio Server Time
27 Apr 2024 13:49:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows povray Executable to POV-Ray source code using MSV studio
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 18 Feb 2008 06:40:51
Message: <47b96ec3$1@news.povray.org>
here_I_am wrote:
> "nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> "here_I_am" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>>> human face with its texture and shadow map but that doesn't look any way close
>>> to real face I mean that it has plasticity kinda look.
>>> And my sole purpose to use Torrance-Sparrow BRDF model is to make this face
>>> model somewhat more realistic.But I am not sure how implement that.
>> you see, you don't know what you're talking about.  Why do you think the
>> Torrence-Sparrow BRDF model will help you getting away from the plastic look?
>>
>> What you really need is a BSSRDF (subsurface scattering).  Look here for the
>> comparison:
>> http://graphics.ucsd.edu/~henrik/images/imgs/face_brdf.jpg
>> http://graphics.ucsd.edu/~henrik/images/imgs/face_bssrdf.jpg
>>
>> from the man himself, Henrik Wann Jensen, the father of photon mapping and
>> subsurface scattering models...
>

> I have been through those paper..and now I understand what I basically want to
> do.
> Basically I have this rendered model with ray traced and shadow map.
> What I want to do next is to find surface interaction with light...the surface
> reflectance with Blinn-Phong BRDF model...and as far as I understand I have to
> I have use Monte-Carlo integration through out the surface and I am not sure
> how to implement that in pov-ray.
>
> Could you please give me a direction??

It is really *pointless* for anyone to give you that direction as it is
everything but trivial. You questions leave no doubt that what you are
trying to do is well above your head given your current level of knowledge.
You first need to understand far more basic things:

Start by reading the books in the POV-Ray documentation (i.e. at
<http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/211/>).

And please *read* <http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html> as I
strongly recommended before already.

	Thorsten, POV-Team