POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : examples pictures for my reply to displacement thread on general : Re: examples pictures for my reply to displacement thread on general Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:15:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: examples pictures for my reply to displacement thread on general
From: nemesis
Date: 15 Feb 2008 09:41:48
Message: <47b5a4ac@news.povray.org>
FlaPovFan wrote:
> Here's an illustration of the use of Blender displacement mapping.  It was
> exported from Blend to Pov-Ray by the Blend2Pov script by C. Ruiz.

you know, there are really two things in that illustration:  an image
mapping with an armadillo painting and a displacement of the plane that
vaguely resembles the contours of the armadillo figure, it got some
weird bumps in the body that don't seem to match with anything in the
figure.

anyway, I googled for an armadillo image, dessaturated it in the Gimp as
well as applied some Gaussian defocussing in order to get a truly smooth
displacement with a height_field:

union {
	height_field { png
		"Armadillo3.png"