POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruined Place - WIP 3 : Re: Ruined Place - WIP 3 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:25:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruined Place - WIP 3
From: nemesis
Date: 15 Feb 2008 08:57:44
Message: <47b59a58$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> You might well be right about mip-mapping here... My knowledge about that is
> slight however.

it's just a technique for substituting less detailed textures for richer
textures the closer something is to the camera.  First time I saw it in
full glory was in the N64 game Goldeneye.  From the distance, walls
looked detailed enough, but once you came near them, *real* detail began
to smoothly blend in to the larger granite texture, like tiny crackles
and ridges... that was amazing for the time...