POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruined Place - WIP 3 : Re: Ruined Place - WIP 3 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruined Place - WIP 3
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Feb 2008 08:45:06
Message: <47b59762$1@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] nospamgmailcom> schreef in bericht
> you know, from those photos, I think the problem is partially that povray
> doesn't support mip-mapping of textures and anisotropic filtering.  I
> don't know how these could support procedural textures, but they'd
> certainly help in making the graininess go away.
>
> Only geometry near the camera would show the little pointy granite grain.
> Those far away would only permit the larger crackle pattern to be visible.
> Besides, the ground would show a smooth transition from detail up close
> and be slightly blurred and less grainy in the distance.
>
> I still think, though, that camera blur would be of some help here.

One thing about the photographs is also that those classic ruins we visit
may often have been "cleaned" of all offensive lichens and growths that
threaten their survival.

You might well be right about mip-mapping here... My knowledge about that is
slight however.

Thomas