POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruined Place - WIP 3 : Re: Ruined Place - WIP 3 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruined Place - WIP 3
From: nemesis
Date: 15 Feb 2008 08:22:30
Message: <47b59216$1@news.povray.org>
you know, from those photos, I think the problem is partially that
povray doesn't support mip-mapping of textures and anisotropic
filtering.  I don't know how these could support procedural textures,
but they'd certainly help in making the graininess go away.

Only geometry near the camera would show the little pointy granite
grain.  Those far away would only permit the larger crackle pattern to
be visible.  Besides, the ground would show a smooth transition from
detail up close and be slightly blurred and less grainy in the distance.

I still think, though, that camera blur would be of some help here.