POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Source code status : Re: Source code status Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Source code status
From: Chris Cason
Date: 14 Feb 2008 07:16:38
Message: <47b43126@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:02:17 +0100, Chris Cason
> <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote:
>> strange ... it works here (I built from the same zip you used, loaded the
>> EXE, then used process explorer to confirm that the local copy of the
>> DLL's
>> was loaded). note that visual studio (at least, VS 2005) sets the working
>> directory to that of the project, rather than that containing the EXE.
>
> That explains it. I was running pvengine.exe directly from the 'bin32'
> directory.

ah, I see. the macro is really intended for use when running from the IDE,
particularly if you want to debug the editor code itself.

I really ought to clean the whole project layout up - I've done it for the
version 3.6 project but that was after I did the 3.7 branch. all the
project files should be in the VS 2005 directory, and the DLL's should end
up in the bin32 directory, rather than where they are now.

> Since the executable name and path is identical for all configurations
> (Debug, Release and SSE2), it is rather cumbersome to switch between them.
> It would be preferable to have separate names and/or paths.

this is intentional - probably a reflection of the way I tend to develop, I
found the standard Visual Studio habit of separating the EXE's into their
own dir was a hassle, as I'm constantly switching between various builds,
and I simply want my various shortcuts (desktop, objectdock, keyboard
launchpad) to always point at the EXE I most recently built. back when I
had them separate, I too many times ran a multi-hour test render only to
find that I'd launched the wrong EXE :-(

thanks for the feedback anyhow. I have added an additional check for the
codemax DLL's in ..\..\ as well as ..\.

-- Chris