POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : office supplies - ink bottle : Re: office supplies - ink bottle Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: office supplies - ink bottle
From: Chris B
Date: 14 Feb 2008 06:12:43
Message: <47b4222b$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message

>> I spent last night working on a macro for a label to go round angled
>> multi-facetted polyhedron with bevelled and rounded corners, such as your
>> octagonal bottle. I've got the macro to do the shape.
>
> Perhaps the bottles themselve might lend to using csg, the mesh macros I
> am using are quite clunky and a little difficult to really make bullet
> proof.

I think the mesh generated ones look really great. I used CSG for a plastic
bottle and it looked very regular; OK for plastic, but, IMO, too regular for
glass. It may be possible to add distortions to the surface normals, but
meshes are inherently less regular and retain the potential to allow you to
add randomness into the surface shape itself. I would recommend sticking
with meshes for this, particularly given the excellent results you've shown
here.

The CSG SDL I've written for the labels macro is also getting a bit clunky,
despite a number of rewrites, and all that does is to generate a thin strip
around a regular object. I suspect that to do a generic piece of SDL to
handle the transition from the angled sides to the cylindrical bottle neck
would be pretty tricky using just CSG.

If you're having difficulty making the macros bullet proof, you may like to
consider an idea I've used to make the label generator more user friendly.
I've created a series of include files, with each holding the parameter
settings for a particular label. Inexperienced users can therefore generate
one of the standard labels without getting their hands dirty.

Less timid users can copy a file that is close to what they want and just
tweak the bits they need without necessarily understanding many of the
settings. More adventurous users can dig into the macro calls, but will
obviously have to learn more about how they work to use them.

I think the bottles you've done would make great additions to the object
collection, even if the only changes that a user can make are to scale them.
Any additional configuration settings would be icing on the cake.

Regards,
Chris B.