POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 : Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:13:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 14 Feb 2008 05:36:24
Message: <47b419a8$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:

> In povray, neither radiosity nor photon mapping really require all that
> amount of parameters to be tweaked, because there's not that much and
> the defaults are sensible enough.  More likely you'll just need
> experience and knowledge to get right the 5 or 6 parameters that really
> need tweaking...

Basically I agree: this is a tradeoff between rendering time and
tweaking time. And usually the tweaking takes less time. But, for
example, in this thread there is still no good rendering of the original
scene from Povray - without the use of lightsources. And if you use
light sources you have to add more parameters to tweak. With bruteforce
you get everything correct with no tweaking at all. And that is why I
like it.

But I admit: the speed difference is still big. So big that the benefits
of brute force still don't make it practical for productive work.