POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Translucency (echo) : Re: Translucency (echo) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:15:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Translucency (echo)
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 13 Feb 2008 18:28:26
Message: <47b37d1a@news.povray.org>
> Neat shape!

Thx, actually based on a real lamp I saw lately and
just a blob with two components clipped by planes.

> Are you using radiosity in these images?  If you want the translucent
>  surface to emit light you'll need to use radiosity.

I suspected that radiosity would be the correct way to pass on the
light but I don't think I have the knack or patience for it (yet?).
Also, it would defeat the purpose of using double_illuminate
instead of media to speed things up :-P

> A real hole in the middle of the shape will actually prevent this
> method from working.

Well, it works to some extent with no_shadow, which also
allows light to escape even when not using radiosity. Of
course the light transport is not physically correct but
it may be a good enough approximation for some scenes
or at least medium quality test renders. The perceived
ratio of lamp shade brightness vs illumination power
can be tweaked with light intensity and fade_distance.

The above scene with 800x600 AA 0.3 took about one minute
to render on a P4 2.6Ghz - and about half of that seemed to
be spent on the floor texture ;)

My original reason for using a difference was indeed to open
up the lamp, it did not occur to me to use clipped_by, thx!

> 5. Varying degrees of translucency in the surface can be simulated by
>  varying the diffuse value of the finish.

Neat!