POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Forest macro 2 : Re: Forest macro 2 [800KB] Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Forest macro 2 [800KB]
From: William Tracy
Date: 13 Feb 2008 17:25:43
Message: <47b36e67$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Hey, most people would have faked the trees at the resolution you
> originally used... (fake meaning they wouldn't be meshes with individual
> leaves!)

I was running out of modeling time, and had the choice of trying to fake
the trees with a texture on the ground, or using (mostly) pre-modeled
trees from Povtree. normal{bumps} wasn't cutting it at this resolution,
so I used Povtree trees.

> Anyway, take it as an opportunity to do those little fixes :) It could
> be even more res next time:

What are the specs on the machine you're running this on? You've
inspired me to try a 2048x1536 RSOCP render; I'm finding that I have
more than enough memory to do it in one shot, but it is taxing my processor.

--
William Tracy
afi### [at] gmailcom -- wtr### [at] calpolyedu

And the Format source code tells me that *really* the indicator of an
error is whether the index has changed value or not. If it has *not*
changed value, then some of the Format class' innards assume that since
parsing didn't happen, an error must have occurred. (Pause for
Buddhist-like contemplation of this leap of logic and faith.)
     -- Laird Nelson, blogging on the "dank recesses" of java.text