POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Forest macro 2 : Re: Forest macro 2 [800KB] Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Forest macro 2 [800KB]
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 13 Feb 2008 12:14:39
Message: <47b3257f@news.povray.org>
I'm playing with this scene and huge resolutions :)

Of course, to render at super-high resolutions, tiled rendering is
needed (to distribute between computers/cores). But I can't split the
scene into tiles using the "normal method" (setting +w and +h to the
full res, and using +sc +ec +sr +er). I tried it with very high
resolutions (32768 x something) and POV-Ray crashed, or gave out of
memory error, apparently because it attempts to allocate memory for the
whole image. However, I successfully managed huge tiled renders with
zoomin.inc, where I can set +w and +h to the size of a single tile.

#include "zoomin.inc"

#macro Str(N) str(N,0,-1) #end
#declare Rows=4;
#declare Cols=4;
#macro ZoominParams(X,Y)
   concat(
     " +sr",Str(Y/Rows),
     " +er",Str((Y+1)/Rows),
     " +sc",Str(X/Cols),
     " +ec",Str((X+1)/Cols)
   )
#end
#declare Tile = frame_number;
#local X = mod(Tile, Cols);
#local Y = div(Tile, Cols);

Set_Zoom_Area(camera_location, camera_look_at, ZoominParams(X,Y))
Update_Camera_Zoom()

I rendered a 2048x1536 image, using 16 tiles, just for the sake of
testing. I can't really tell how much time it took, since I kept
changing some things while the tiles were being rendered, and then
re-rendered the ones that were left with old parameters.

Area lights and radiosity are disabled. I tested radiosity, and
confirmed it gets noticeable artifacts between one tile and the other.
All trees were loaded from linden-lowres5.inc, including bushes, to
decrease parse time to around 15 seconds.

I just noticed the PNG image is 5.3MB, even after optipng'ing it! JPEG
got it to 800KB while keeping more than acceptable quality. EDIT: and I
had to lower quality a bit more; I forgot how much overhead base64
causes, and the server gave a size limit error. Down to 700KB, retrying.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'inthewild_big.jpg' (680 KB)

Preview of image 'inthewild_big.jpg'