POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 : Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:09:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1
From: nemesis
Date: 12 Feb 2008 16:47:09
Message: <47b213dd$1@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen wrote:
>  I simply love the idea of brute force rendering:
> no need to tweak 30 parameters to get perfect results.

brute force methods like path tracing or finite step methods like photon
mapping are just different methods of solving the infamous "rendering
equation".  The finite step methods give very reasonable results in far
shorter times in exchange for a little tweaking.

In povray, neither radiosity nor photon mapping really require all that
amount of parameters to be tweaked, because there's not that much and
the defaults are sensible enough.  More likely you'll just need
experience and knowledge to get right the 5 or 6 parameters that really
need tweaking...