POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 : Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 12 Feb 2008 15:01:59
Message: <47b1fb37@news.povray.org>
fidos wrote:
> The same scene that the previous rendering but with texture. I was quite
> disappointed because I leaved it running for 24h on 4 cores and still some
> noise remain...

My interested to this subject rose because I also want to make a simple
ray-tracer. Why? Because I can :)

I started my project just to learn C++. I made sphere-plane physics
simulator that works in realtime. (I love those balls bouncing on my
screen :). Now I'm turning it slowly to a brute force raytracer - thanks
to this thread by you. I simply love the idea of brute force rendering:
no need to tweak 30 parameters to get perfect results.

At present I can only draw the balls with one color by finding
ray-sphere intersections. So no lighting at all. But at least it works.

Ok, the question:

How many rays were shot to create your last image? I'm just wondering
how fast the code actually has to be in order to get any feasible
results. So how many rays one wants to shoot per pixel to get bearable
noise.

Thanks.