POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : office supplies - ink bottle : Re: office supplies - ink bottle Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: office supplies - ink bottle
From: Jim Charter
Date: 10 Feb 2008 08:06:11
Message: <47aef6c3$1@news.povray.org>
Chris B wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> I've been working on a label generator over the last few days. The objects I
> sent in for the 'office supplies' subject both needed labels, so I took the
> code I wrote for them to make a generic labelling system. As of this morning
> it generates either flat or cylindrical labels using layers of pigment to
> incorporate combinations of POV-Ray objects and image maps.
>
> By coincidence, yesterday I was thinking about how to do labels for rounded
> boxes/superellipsoids though I haven't coded that up yet. I was thinking of
> using the width, the depth and the roundness of the corners to control the
> shape of a label. The label width would control how far around the sides of
> the container the label stretched. Any ideas for anything that might make it
> more useful to you?

It might very well be!  Assuming you are using bi-cubic patches, that
was one approach I was also considering.  The 'cross sections' of the
bottles are  modelled with splines using the colefax spline files.  It
certainly would be easy to generate 16 points along the bottle's surface
from those spline definitions.  But the labels on the ink bottles are
often continuous around the outside which might be trickier to do if
such total accuracy were needed, that is why I was also considering
generating uv vectors along with the mesh triangles, at least for a
certain portion of the bottle.  But either way my attitude was that I
would provide the means such that the artist could change the label, in
the simplest case, by just providing an image_map. Your system still
might integrate well in that case too.