POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : DKBTrace images - roman.jpg : Re: DKBTrace images - roman.jpg Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DKBTrace images - roman.jpg
From: David Buck
Date: 9 Feb 2008 22:37:56
Message: <47ae7194$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
>> This effectively became the showcase picture of DKBTrace in the very
>> early days.
>
> I can imagine.  Back then, there were no 3D accelerator cards, no Playstation.
> Just simple 2D bitmaps on screen...

On the Amiga, the highest graphics format I could display this in
properly was 320x400.  The mode was called HAM (Hold and modify) and I
had to write a special program to produce it.  The format used 6 bits
per pixel.  Of the 6 bits, 2 bits told you what to do with the other 4.

00 - interpret the other 4 bits as the index of one of 16 color
registers of 12 bits each
01 - take repeat the previous color replacing the red value with the
lower 4 bits
10 - take repeat the previous color replacing the green value with the
lower 4 bits
11 - take repeat the previous color replacing the blue value with the
lower 4 bits

Late in the history of DKBTrace, I agreed to let an Amiga hardware
peripheral company use the images for advertising in return for one of
their higher-end graphics cards that got closer to 24 bits of color but
still used the hold and modify technique.

David Buck