POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Other DKBTrace images : Re: Other DKBTrace images Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Other DKBTrace images
From: David Buck
Date: 9 Feb 2008 21:55:46
Message: <47ae67b2$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> David Buck wrote:
>> Another point in the FLOSS Weekly interview was that I don't consider
>> myself an artist.  The pictures I designed where usually to test
>> particular features.  Any attempts at an artistic image were somewhat
>> lame.
>>
>> Here are two more pictures I designed from DKBTrace.  The first one
>> was specifically to test a new feature where shadows through a partly
>> transparent object show up correctly on the floor.  Prior to this
>> feature, a transparent object still had a solid shadow.
>>
>> The next picture is one that I think I designed (I don't entirely
>> remember).  It does show the kind of image I tended to come up with on
>> my own.

> So procedural patterns were a part of the earliest implementation?

DKBTrace did use procedural patterns based on a paper in the SIGGRAPH 85
conference proceedings by Ken Perlin called "An Image Synthesizer".
This was in DKBTrace 1.0 when I first released is as I recall.

We later replaced the noise function with one from Robert Skinner
because it gave better results than Perlin's.

David Buck