POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 : Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:17:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motecarlo path tracing with MegaPov 1.2.1
From: nemesis
Date: 4 Feb 2008 23:22:57
Message: <47a7e4a1@news.povray.org>
fidos escreveu:
> It is interesting to see how far you can go.

yes, well, here's my latest attempt.  Rendertime: 5 hours and something
for 1st pass, some minutes for 2nd pass with higher error bound.  here's
the settings:

   radiosity{
     #if (Save)
       pretrace_start .04
       pretrace_end .0008
       save_file "prep4company-wip3.rad"
       always_sample off
       error_bound 0.02
       nearest_count 12
       minimum_reuse 0.008*2
	adc_bailout .01/20
     recursion_limit 2
     brightness Radiosity_Brightness
     count 40*3*5
     #else
        pretrace_start 1
       pretrace_end 1
       load_file "prep4company-wip3.rad"
       always_sample off
       error_bound 0.14
       nearest_count 1
       minimum_reuse 0
	max_sample .4
	adc_bailout .0006//20
     recursion_limit 1
	count 1
     brightness Radiosity_Brightness
     #end
   }

I think I'll next bump up the error_bound slightly to get better blends
in the first pass.  I'm still with problems getting that second pass
alright:  there are black-dot artifacts in the corners when I use
error_bound values close to the 1st pass.  Perhaps anyone more
knowledgeable has any clue about the settings?

At least, it's smooth, features visible shadows for the lamp in the
wall, for the top left window corner, for the power outlet in the wall
and even some shadow near the legs of the table.  Unfortunately,
rendertime is too high -- perhaps even equalling to path tracing or more
-- and there are shadow artifacts in the front wall as well as the
horrid AA light levels clipping issues.

> I have the feeling that radiosity is good for diffuse inter reflection between
> objects (and smooth change of brightness). But it seems difficult to catch
> correctly the direct light influence

you're very right.

> (the use of area light in addition to a
> sky sphere may solve the problem of the smooth shadows).

I still may try that as a last resource. ;)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'prep4company-wip3-save_pass.png' (68 KB) Download 'prep4company-wip3.png' (151 KB)

Preview of image 'prep4company-wip3-save_pass.png'
prep4company-wip3-save_pass.png

Preview of image 'prep4company-wip3.png'
prep4company-wip3.png