POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruined place : Re: Ruined place Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:14:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruined place
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 3 Feb 2008 03:45:02
Message: <47a57f0e@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> schreef in bericht

> Cool.  Some promise, but I think when you finally get what you want you
> will be some distance from this approach.  I don't think real moss growth
> would respect the structure of the stones much at all unless it would be
> to spread from the cracks or some other surface where it first takes root.
> From places that have more to do with sun or lack of, or water pockets?
> The interruptions where the stones are rotated just wouldn't happen much
> at all I don't think.  That is the 'creepy' part about organic growth.  It
> has no respect. It just crawls over everything.  Moss does seem to
> 'coagulate' into clumps though, so you have gotten some of its aspects
> with a procedural texture.  I am thinking just a plain old bozo pattern
> might work better.  The technique you have now, agate? suggests that the
> moss is responding perhaps to a certain mineral veined in the stone.
> Maybe lichen would be more like that?  I am not much of a naturalist.

yeah.... :-(  you are absolutely right, Jim. This first quick and dirty
approach is not leading anywhere. My first objective was to get a decent
distribution of broken columns, which at least seems satisfying.

I wondered if I could get something decent with this (agate) pattern. Bozo
might work better indeed, in combination maybe with boxed, to take the seams
into account. Which reminds me that I also wanted to experiment here with
your excellent Stained Stones macro. That will be another path to explore
more fully.

Thomas