POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Honeymoon (WIP) : Re: The Honeymoon (WIP) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Honeymoon (WIP)
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 2 Feb 2008 19:31:12
Message: <47a50b50@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> "M_a_r_c" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:
>
>>The date trees I saw (only photographs)  had a rather straight trunk.
>

> hmm, most seen here have curved trunks:
> http://images.google.com.br/images?q=palm+tree

There are, after all, MANY different varieties of palm trees.  Date
palms have straight trunks, coconut palms have curved trunks, for two
examples.

For a slight change-of-subject, there was a unique palm tree in the area
where I live (Ventura, California) which was a local landmark.  This
tree had been damaged early in its life and the top part of the trunk
had fallen over.  But it continued to live and recovered by continuing
to grow upward.  It looked something like this:

\|/
  |__

It survived like this for many years (50+ I think), but was finally
killed a few years ago in a bad winter storm.

More trivia:  the street where this tree was located was named Crooked
Palm Road.

      -=- Larry -=-