POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruined place : Re: Ruined place Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruined place
From: Jim Charter
Date: 2 Feb 2008 10:50:57
Message: <47a49161$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> OK. Just a little try out of a ruined and "mossy" place.
>
> Thomas

Cool.  Some promise, but I think when you finally get what you want you
will be some distance from this approach.  I don't think real moss
growth would respect the structure of the stones much at all unless it
would be to spread from the cracks or some other surface where it first
takes root. From places that have more to do with sun or lack of, or
water pockets? The interruptions where the stones are rotated just
wouldn't happen much at all I don't think.  That is the 'creepy' part
about organic growth.  It has no respect. It just crawls over
everything.  Moss does seem to 'coagulate' into clumps though, so you
have gotten some of its aspects with a procedural texture.  I am
thinking just a plain old bozo pattern might work better.  The technique
you have now, agate? suggests that the moss is responding perhaps to a
certain mineral veined in the stone.  Maybe lichen would be more like
that?  I am not much of a naturalist.