POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : an Escher-like image : Re: an Escher-like image Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: an Escher-like image
From: Alain
Date: 25 Jan 2008 10:42:32
Message: <479a0368$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/24 22:24:
> jhu escreveu:
>> Thanks! My global settings are listed below. What do you suggest I
>> change?
>
> hmm, no photons for caustics?  It seems radiosity is creating some weird
> kind of caustics by its own, except it's black!
>
> Now, count 1000 and error_bound .05?!  whew!  Took a few days to render,
> huh? ;)
>
> In my radiosity scenes I like more fine-grained radiosity shading so I
> generally go for pretrace_start 0.04 and pretrace_end 0.008 or something
> like that.  But I go with error_bound .2:  it's acceptably slow and
> gives good results for the blending of blotches, specially coupled with
> nearest_count of about 16.  Count is about right, though I first try
> with lower counts, like 200 to 600...
>
> As for the dark spots, the correct way to get caustics in povray is with
> photons.  Radiosity has problems with black spots and glass surfaces.
> Use a first radiosity pass without the reflective or transparent
> surfaces, save that rca file and then render the final image with
> photons and the reflective/transparent surfaces back.  Test without
> photon first, then good luck. :)
In this case, replacing the radiosity with photons don't look feasible. The
caustics are a projection of the sky. You'd need to use a light dome, possibly
composed of many area_light with photons{area_light}. You'll end up with tons of
photons, meaning a photons phase that will be extremely long and a memory use
that may get prohibitive.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you've tried to scan your face for