POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : an Escher-like image : Re: an Escher-like image Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: an Escher-like image
From: nemesis
Date: 24 Jan 2008 22:24:02
Message: <47995652$1@news.povray.org>
jhu escreveu:
> Thanks! My global settings are listed below. What do you suggest I change?

hmm, no photons for caustics?  It seems radiosity is creating some weird
kind of caustics by its own, except it's black!

Now, count 1000 and error_bound .05?!  whew!  Took a few days to render,
huh? ;)

In my radiosity scenes I like more fine-grained radiosity shading so I
generally go for pretrace_start 0.04 and pretrace_end 0.008 or something
like that.  But I go with error_bound .2:  it's acceptably slow and
gives good results for the blending of blotches, specially coupled with
nearest_count of about 16.  Count is about right, though I first try
with lower counts, like 200 to 600...

As for the dark spots, the correct way to get caustics in povray is with
photons.  Radiosity has problems with black spots and glass surfaces.
Use a first radiosity pass without the reflective or transparent
surfaces, save that rca file and then render the final image with
photons and the reflective/transparent surfaces back.  Test without
photon first, then good luck. :)