POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tiled backgrounds : Re: Tiled backgrounds Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:15:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiled backgrounds
From: Bernard Hatt
Date: 22 Jan 2008 17:43:41
Message: <4796719d$1@news.povray.org>
Mike the Elder wrote:
> Bernard Hatt <bmh### [at] arkadydemoncouk> wrote:
>
>>Here are a few tiled backgrounds I've generated in POV-Ray...
>

> Nifty stuff! I, too, would be interested knowing more about your technique for
> producing repeating tiles.  I *think* I've figured out one way to do it... use
> nested #while loops to reproduce 9 copies of the objects on a 3x3 grid and zoom
> in on the center square from a very long distance away (use orthographic
> projection ?)... but this seems a rather Rube Golberg approach.  I suspect that
> you have come up with a far more elegant method.
>
> Best Regards,
> Mike C.

You've answered Darren's question above,

I used orthographic projection, and I have a macro which takes an object
and places 9 copies on a grid ... I did try and think of a clever
solution which looked at bounding boxes and tried to calculate which
objects need to be duplicated, but then what about reflections of other
objects .... in the end I decided the quick-and-dirty solution would
be quicker ....

You also have to be careful with reflections - if there is a reflected
sky then it needs to repeat on the same grid size and if you use surface
normals then they also need to repeat  (things like bozo, crackle and
granite don't).

Bernard