POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sphere over checkered plane, with area_illumination : Re: Sphere over checkered plane, with area_illumination Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:13:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sphere over checkered plane, with area_illumination
From: Warp
Date: 20 Jan 2008 13:16:40
Message: <47939008$1@news.povray.org>
Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> Just downloaded 3.7b24 to try it out ... is the effect
> of area_light with area_illumination basically identical
> to using a grid of normal light_sources, but still more
> efficient due to adaptive sampling?

  Btw, I suppose you didn't see my post about the subject
in the beta group. I posted links to an example:

  This is an image rendered with a regular old area_light (rendered with
"-w800 -h600 +a0.1 +am2"):

http://warp.povusers.org/images/arealighttest1.jpg

  It took 13 seconds to render in my computer.

  This is the same scene, but the area light has been replaced with the
equivalent grid of point lights:

http://warp.povusers.org/images/arealighttest2.jpg

  This took 1 min 51 seconds to render.

  This is, again, the area_light, but with the new full area lighting
feature turned on:

http://warp.povusers.org/images/arealighttest3.jpg

  This took 36 seconds to render.