POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My wine cellar : Re: My wine cellar Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:16:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My wine cellar
From: Jim Charter
Date: 19 Jan 2008 16:49:41
Message: <47927075$1@news.povray.org>
jhu wrote:
>I feel that there might
> need to be more objects in the room. But I don't know what

The composition is such that there is a lot of blank wallspace which may
be inducing the 'feeling' that the scene needs more objects. Otherwise
the thing missing in the picture may be a clear realization of intention.

The picture uses simple means, a reduced palette of color and a limited
set of objects.  This suggests that the intention is to set up a quiet,
contemplative scene, a light and texture study, which would revolve
around the detailing of the wine casks, (which is well done in the
picture and a satisfying thing to contemplate in real life,) with the
texturing of the floor and walls intended to add relish, and the
backlighting from the window to add both mood and specular interest.  If
you are left with the feeling the scene needs more objects, it may
really be because it has not yet exploited the elements it does have.

The blankness of the wall might be offset a bit by adding some more to
its patina.  Even if in real life the walls would be super-clean,
(though the texture suggests otherwise,) there would be some slight ways
in which the texture and some grime would acknowledge the edges and
corners of the architecture. With the amount of wall space in the
picture it is a significant part of the subject and its texturing must
be able bear close scrutiny.  A temptation and further possiblity would
be to place some tool hanging on the wall. This would probably help add
some variety to the composition, even improve the compositional balance,
  but would not really address the main problem. Which is why do we care
about these wine casks?

-Jim