POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : CrapGadget Oddity :-) [195k] : Re: CrapGadget Oddity :-) [195k] Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CrapGadget Oddity :-) [195k]
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Date: 13 Jan 2008 02:07:34
Message: <4789b8b6$1@news.povray.org>
"stbenge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> [GDS|Entropy] wrote:
>> Yeah...
>
> CrapGadget... classic :)

Thanks, I borrowed that from Engadget (kinda like Techcrunch), it just
seemed so fitting. ;-)

>> Trying to get used to array storage/retrieval in POV again, screwing
>> around..not quite sure where I am going with this.
>>
>> Essentially I am mucking around with arrays of vectors which connect end
>> to end. I am slowly integrating randomness and branch/object property
>> variation.
>>
>> So I guess this could end up being either some kind of pulsing hydraulic
>> atrocity when animated, or some sort of shrubbery when used with splines,
>> and possibly some mutated horrific retrovirus when used with
>> sphere_sweeps.
>>
>> I really don't know...or care for that matter, it just looks cool. ;-p
>> But I would appreciate any code example using adaptive multi-dimensional
>> arrays. See below: [this is not the pov code which produced the image,
>> this is just a flowing thought which attempts to clairify my goal] (keep
>> in mind I've been up for like 18hrs too, so..yeah..I've probably screwed
>> up lots of places and need sleep)
>
> Perhaps Gilles Tran has some code suitable for helping you toward your
> goal -> http://www.oyonale.com/

I will look into this. I have always been a fan of his work.

>> Essentially What I am looking for in the final function is the ability to
>> say: "There are X number of objects type Z of diameter N, in a row, each
>> requiring two non-intersecting vectors, and each object to has one vector
>> in common with the object which follows it."
>>
>> Did I state this clearly, or should I go to bed for a while?? ;-)
>
> Maybe, and probably. Is it possible to label the objects as you put them
> into the array? Maybe another array can be used as a reference?

Hmm...I think I know what you mean, and I can imagine ways to numerically
link the arrays, but as far as your exact meaning of a label, not so much.
Perhaps some small example?

> Sam

Thanks, Ian