POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Baby Toys : Re: Baby Toys Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:10:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baby Toys
From: Chris B
Date: 4 Jan 2008 10:51:33
Message: <477e5605@news.povray.org>
"Blue Herring" <bhe### [at] tinfoilcatcom> wrote in message
> "Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Very nice. I think those models are extremely well done.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Chris B.
>>
>> p.s. Any of them would make a very nice addition to the object collection
>> we
>> started last year at http://lib.povray.org, if you're interested.
>
> Thanks very much!  I'd be happy to submit these, though I'm wondering if
> there
> are any copyright issues as they are modeled on real products (the blocks
> also
> use the actual patterns as well.)

Ah yes. This has been discussed before, (about a desk if I remember
correctly) and the conclusion there seemed to be that if it bore
characteristics unique to a particular manufacturers version of the item (or
a trademark) that there could well be issues in copying the item.

I recall wondering whether this really applied to a 3D representation of the
object any more than to a 2D representation of the object, such as a photo,
a rendering or technical drawings, but I am not a lawyer and have to admit
to still being totally unclear about whether there's anything wrong with
distributing 3D models of real world objects.

Best Regards,
Chris B.