POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : stereogram.pov released today (136k jpg) : Re: stereogram.pov released today (136k jpg) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:26:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stereogram.pov released today (136k jpg)
From: stbenge
Date: 23 Dec 2007 17:15:07
Message: <476eddeb@news.povray.org>
Jellby wrote:
> Among other things, stbenge saw fit to write:
>
>> I just uploaded the file to p.b.scene-files. It's a zip file containing
>> two scene files in a single folder, so it can be unzipped into your
>> scene directory. One file produces the depth map, and the other makes
>> the stereogram. All the features are written as comments within the main
>> file. The default values produced the attached image.
>
> Thanks! Now it's time to try to understand it ;)

It's really not a very difficult concept. Each strip after the one
previous to it is displaced in an additive fashion.

> By the way, is it just me or is there a glitch in the middle of the image
> (where the two boxes meet)? I see it especially in the lower triangle, the
> stem of the P, and it's worse with increased effect_depth.

Uh oh, I didn't fully test the code after making a rather extreme
optimization! I will soon release another version.

> Another note, I see these things more easily with a lower number of
> "strips" (a wider repeating pattern), otherwise my eyes tend to lock at a
> too wide separation and I see double objecs or strange shapes. Changing
> number_of_strips to 3 was nicer.

Whatever works for you, I suppose. I did warn against very high strip
counts, as they will tend to produce double images and other such errors.

Sam