POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Advent Calendar : Re: Advent Calendar Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advent Calendar
From: Yannick Patois
Date: 15 Dec 2007 17:08:58
Message: <4764507a@news.povray.org>

>       "Many calendars have been adapted by merchandisers and manufacturers to
> include a piece of chocolate or other confectionery behind each compartment.
> These are often aimed at children who are counting down to Christmas and the
> arrival of Santa Claus, and have often been criticised for not relating to the
> Nativity and simply cashing in on Christmas sales."
>
> And it looks like I am hardly the only one to complain about the change.

My child have an Advent Calendar with chocolates behind small
compartments and it's counting down the arrival of Santa Claus ("Pere
Noel"). We also have a pin tree and a string of flashing coloring lights
around the window, and we'll likely eat a cake shaped as a wood log
during xmas night.

All of this is coming back form a bunch of old mythology, some christian
 related, and most not (after all, 25 december is around winder solstice
and that the only reason why there is a feast there).

It's not because I'm drinking wine that I believe in Bachus, and all
Ancient Greko-Roman mythology.

Some seems still to believe in Santa Claus here. Fine for them if
they're happy with it, but we shouldn't let them come bothering people
about that too often, please.

   Yannick