POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Problem: Photons: Crash? : Re: Problem: Photons: Crash? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 08:13:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem: Photons: Crash?
From: Alain
Date: 10 Dec 2007 20:55:20
Message: <475dee08@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/10 10:54:
> I am not sure if POVRAY crashes on my scene file or not, who can help?
>
> It starts to parse the photons, but at position 45176 it suddenly stops
> doing anything. Maybe POVRAY still calculates, but I am not sure. At least,
> it reacts properly on abort request. Who would like to test my file (see
> attached ZIP) and tell me if it crashed or not?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sven Littkowski

No crash. Maybe there are large areas that are covered by the photons shooting
that can't receive any. Here it pause at 45182 and 45193 with autostop 0.
It still use 80 to 97% CPU.
You may have some object that have extremely large and almost empty bounding box.
Try removing all objects exept the ground plane, then add the various objects
one by one until you find the problematic one.

Effeciency tip:
You have some maps like:
   pigment_map
   {
    [ 0.00 Gray95 ]
    [ 0.20 Gray95 ]
    [ 0.20 Gray95 ]
    [ 0.75 Gray30 ]
    [ 0.75 Gray30 ]
    [ 1.00 Gray30 ]
   }
that can be cut down to:
   pigment_map
   {
    [ 0.20 Gray95 ]
    [ 0.75 Gray30 ]
   }
for exactly the same result. In the present case, a constant shade of Gray95
from zero to 0.2, a ramp from 0.2 to 0.75, and a constant shade of Gray30 for
the rest. The short version is easier to write, debug and maintain.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you have ever said "I don't need