POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : initial splash : Re: initial splash Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:26:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: initial splash
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Dec 2007 11:09:43
Message: <4756cd47@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 19:54:30 -0500, alphaQuad wrote:

>> Is it for a software installation screen, for a system startup screen,
>> for a BIOS startup image - what exactly is the intended point at which
>> this image would be used, and by whom?
>>
>> That said, if you ask for comments/criticism, don't get defensive if
>> people provide honest criticisms - if you don't want that, then don't
>> ask for it. :-)
>>
>> Jim
>
> Hi Jim, good to hear from you,
>
> I see questions so I wont ignore:
> It's for the program in the upper right.

Seeing that you meant left rather than right - so Paul B is the only
person intended to use this installer?

> And it was really for and about the people listed, as I am not going to
> about listing people without them having a say in it.

Well, no, not asking for specific names here - perhaps I wasn't clear.
Is this an installer for a piece of software (for which that's the target
audience), or is it something for your own amusement, or .... ?

> I thought people would read the text about understand the situation.
> Silly me.

I'm having a very difficult time identifying who the target audience is
for the image from your description - I read the text at least 3 times
and I have to admit I'm still quite baffled about who this is intended
for.

You've said "from the group", which to me, as a reader of this newsgroup,
says "I'm looking for feedback from the readers of this newsgroup".
Perhaps that's the confusion here.  It would appear I'm not alone in that
confusion.

> Defensive is not an accurate description of my reply to indecent remarks
> There is nothing to defend. I'll meet each individually and treat them
> with just deserts as I see fit, as it should be.

Sorry, I didn't really see anything "indecent" about any of the feedback
that was given - Greg thought you meant a "splash" for a website (since
that's probably his area of expertise) and provided commentary about web
design.  Mike asked who the audience was for this image, and you said "no
audience", which I have to admit confused me greatly - clearly you have a
target audience in mind for a "splash screen" of some sort, which is for
more than just your own amusement/amazement.  I thought Mike asked some
pretty valid questions there.  His last question - "What did I miss?"
should sum up that in his mind, it's not clear what you intended this to
be used for.

I could see, for example, this image being used as a splash screen for
ISOBoot, which only supports 256 colours on some systems (at least the
last time I played with it it did, as I remember having to downsample the
images I used with it as well).  If that's the case, then the feedback
would be different than if it was intended for a system that's capable of
running 24-bit colour.

Does that make sense?

Jim