POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Why don't you go home? WIP-01 [~170kB] : Re: Why don't you go home? WIP-01 [~170kB] Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why don't you go home? WIP-01 [~170kB]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 4 Dec 2007 04:36:27
Message: <47551f9b$1@news.povray.org>
"M_a_r_c" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> schreef in bericht

> Thomas the Great as usual ;-)
<grin> Thank you Marc!

> I like how your images are a backdoor  into a larger story.
> In this one I specially like the cultural clash and the encounter between
> the feudal shepherd(?) and the merchant who has access to a hi-tech
> civilization (though doesn't look like he belongs this civ.).
In my view the alien is really alien, meaning he comes from a different
solar system. However, some basic urges (like commerce, buying and selling)
seem to be universal  :-). So, we are looking at an outpost or a colony of
them, probably not really appreciated by the autochtons who live
approximately at a bronze age / iron age civilization level.
I tried to give the alien a look that was fairly common to SF illustrations
in the 1950's 1960's.

> As many I like the huge yet light buildings.
> The merchant looks very athletic for a cloth seller.
Well, being an alien, he has a slightly different morphology. But don't be
misled! It is mostly fat, I am told  :-)

> The trees are very equal in size and plantation. is it an orchard?
That's funny, because the size varies randomly from 2 to 4 times the basic
shape. You don't see this really indeed. I shall investigate.

> Anyway the grass below them should be shorter (less light, soil dried by
> trees roots)
Yes, the grass needs some more work. Be aware however that the ground is
rather marshy (there is water in the middle background, to the right)

> It is always a pleasure to see your works :-)
Great! :-)

Thomas