POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Advent Calendar : Re: Advent Calendar Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advent Calendar
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 3 Dec 2007 17:15:29
Message: <47548001$1@news.povray.org>
Le 03.12.2007 19:57, Leef_me nous fit lire :

> The point of my analogy was to show that some things are defined.
> If you wish to color your trees Blue for effect, it is fine.

Why "for effect" ? If you ever ask some Japanese/Chinese people
about the colours of grass, sky, sea, lake, and dark forest you
might be surprised by 98% of the answering people: same!
What you call Blue is an English concept. It convert relatively fine
within western cultures.
But can fail on others. Colours are the ones the most easily wrong,
especially if you have to describe them without picture (even by
sending a picture, if you do not know the gamma curve of your
relative, you might very well get it wrong: just have a fun in
povray, about brown & indian red. The rendering at gamma 1.0 and 2.2
is so different for a western eye!)
There is no point in assuming one's culture is right and the other's
cultures are wrong: the translation in English of the title might
have been hazardous, but instead of pinpointing details, you should
simply enjoy the offer.

--
The superior man understands what is right;
the inferior man understands what will sell.