POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Why don't you go home? WIP-01 [~170kB] : Re: Why don't you go home? WIP-01 [~170kB] Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why don't you go home? WIP-01 [~170kB]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 3 Dec 2007 10:19:53
Message: <47541e99$1@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Excellent. I thought it must be nearly time for another TdG creation!

Thank you indeed, Bill! <grin> yes indeed. I am hard at work on this one, a
few others are pending (as always).

> The characters and clothing are great as always, reflecting all the hard
> work
> you've put into these techniques. The trees look good; they look like
> POV-Tree
> objects (not a bad thing). But I love the skyways and buildings!
> Brilliant. Is
> this your own creation, or inspired by a piece of SF art in particular?
> And, to
> hazard a guess at the method, it looks like very good use of a crackle
> isosurface with some buildings placed by hand...?

I have a slowly growing wardrobe of clothes that can be used by different
characters, so that eases the hard work somewhat. However, I am also getting
the experience of making them and it goes faster now. There still remain all
kind of difficulties of course, but that is stimulating. I think I have
found a better method to draw belts tight around the waist, better and
simpler than what I proposed last June in povray.tools.poser. I shall come
back to that later.

The trees are POV-Tree indeed. Mostly the basic birch model which suited my
needs.

The skyways and buildings are inspired by the book cover I mentioned. I
don't remember the title (the book went down to the waste paper trash as the
stories were rather poor imo), but it showed something like these, rather
stylized, and it triggered the rest of the scene into being. I had a couple
of different situations in mind, one particular one showing a stupid alien
trying to learn husbandry, but I could not find a suitable sheep model so I
switched to the present one.

No, you are wrong unfortunately. The whole set was built from scratch in
Silo2. It is one large mesh2, so it renders very fast.

> I'll be following this one with some interest. :)

I hope not to disappoint you in coming wips  :-)

Thomas