POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Why don't you go home? WIP-01 [~170kB] : Why don't you go home? WIP-01 [~170kB] Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Why don't you go home? WIP-01 [~170kB]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 3 Dec 2007 08:21:40
Message: <475402e4@news.povray.org>
Being on the brink of moving houses this week, this seems appropriate:-)

When I started reading SF, back in the late 1960's, I came across many short
stories and novelettes in the magazine Analog which became classics
afterwards. Also in Analog, I discovered the work of such artists as Ed
Emshwiller and Frank Kelly Freas, or John Schoenherr. Look for them and
others here: http://www.noreascon.org/retroart/CatalogByArtist.html.

When looking at an old book cover, a couple of months ago, I thought I would
make a kind of tribute to those artists by creating a scene - if not in the
style - then in the mood of the 60's - 70's illustrators of SF. This is the
result (WIP-01). There is still a lot to do of course. Here, no radiosity (a
small, feeble fillin light is used), rendered in version 3.7, beta 23 in
about 10 minutes. Another version, with the sun behind the camera, took
about 30 minutes but seems more dull in terms of overall composition.

The title "Why don't you go home?" is, I think, emblematic for a whole
section of SF concerned with the contact between humans and aliens, but it
may also serve as a metaphore for our own multicultural world.

As always, comments and criticisms are welcomed.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Why Dont You Go Home_07.jpg' (167 KB)

Preview of image 'Why Dont You Go Home_07.jpg'
Why Dont You Go Home_07.jpg