POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sand : Re: Sand Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sand
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Nov 2007 03:11:14
Message: <47468b22@news.povray.org>
"William Tracy" <wtr### [at] calpolyedu> schreef in bericht

> I'm starting to come up with some stuff that I want to build sand
> castles in. :-)
>
> I'm starting to wonder if all my "details" are really helping or
> hurting. Here's two renders, one with lots of yummy little patterns, and
> one that's completely flat except for the subsurface scattering.

Sand is - at the same time - easy and complicated to do. Imo, your renders
look well. I suppose that the technique used depends on the type of scene
one wants to build and the effect one wants to convey. This means that there
is no definitive solution, or so I experienced myself. Using crand, like
Mark says, can help, although I do not particularly like it. Perhaps using
more contrast between the "grain" colors gives even better results. That, of
course, depends on the type of sand one wants to render.

Thomas