POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ubuntu package puts components in non-standard places? : Re: Ubuntu package puts components in non-standard places? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 05:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubuntu package puts components in non-standard places?
From: jgentry
Date: 22 Nov 2007 12:09:34
Message: <4745b7ce@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> jgentry <jge### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> I tried to use the povray version from the repos a few ubuntu versions
>> ago.  While it did /work/, it was a bit problematic and the preview
>> display while the work was rendering simply filled with '.' if I
>> remember correctly.
>
> BTW, I noticed that running under the Compiz composite window manager, the
> preview window runs transparent:  you hardly notice the picture.  Could it be
> problems with PNG alpha channel?  I turned preview off and am relying on the
> graphical file manager to get a thumbnailed preview for long renders.

Yup, I noticed that right off, too.  Thought it was just me -- if I
bring up a linux problem on the lists, it's usually just me, apparently.

As to the cause, I have no idea.  It may have something to do with the
.png alpha, but I'd vote for problems involving Compiz.  I haven't tried
rendering to a different format or even turning Compiz off.  To be
honest, I just got annoyed and started booting into Windows to use Pov.
  I think I'll give to two above options a shot later today.

-->Jeff